Tuesday, 2 July 2013

BIML: An error occurred while parsing EntityName

Case
I'm creating an SSIS package with BIML and I want to add an expression in my Derived Column with an Logical AND &&.

    
        ISNULL([Column1]) && ISNULL([Column2])
    

But when I check the BIML Script for errors with the 'Check Biml for Errors'-option in the context menu, I got an error: An error occurred while parsing EntityName
An error occurred while parsing EntityName














When I replace it with an Logical Or || it works without errors. What's wrong?

Solution
An XML document doesn't like an ampersand (&). You have to replace it by & or enclose it with CDATA.


    
        ISNULL([Column1]) && ISNULL([Column2])
    



    
        ISNULL([Column1]) <![CDATA[&&]]> ISNULL([Column2])
    



Now you can build the Biml Script without errors.

1 comment:

  1. I just wasted half a day troubleshooting my code, till I narrowed the problem down to the ampersands.
    Thank you so much for this!

    ReplyDelete

Please use the SSIS MSDN forum for general SSIS questions that are not about this post. I'm a regular reader of that forum and will gladly answer those questions over there.

All comments are moderated manually to prevent spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...